Kyle Saulnier and I spoke after the release of the Awakening Orchestra’s recording “Volume ii: to call her to a higher plain” on Biophilia Records. The full five minute excerpt from the interview is on Youtube here.
Kyle Saulnier’s Awakening Orchestra has released a new recording on Biophilia Records, “Volume ii: To call her to a higher plain”. I was fortunate to be a part of the trumpet section for this recording, and I think the band sounds great. Kyle’s compositions and arrangements are engaging, interesting, and worth a listen.
You can listen to it on bandcamp: https://awakeningorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/volume-ii-to-call-her-to-a-higher-plain
This past summer I was involved in two private performances with a new group of musicians. After our second show, we had the idea of continuing the group, and the PEAK Quartet was born.
- Pablo Masis – Trumpet
- Eric Reeves – Drums
- Adam Hutcheson – Saxophone
- Kenji Yoshitake – Bass
We recorded several videos recently, and I have put some of those up on my YouTube channel. Here is one of us playing my composition “Inference”.
Dave Juarez and Jeff Koch will join me for a tour through the Midwest at the end of September, playing both as a trio and with musicians from the area. We kick things off with a night at The Dead Poet on September 24th, where we played our first show together before heading to the Midwest. The full list of performances is below.
- 9.24 The Dead Poet, NYC – 7:30pm, no cover
- 9.25 The Jewell, Omaha NE – 6:30 & 8:30pm sets, $10 at the door. With David Hawkins on drums.
- 9.26 Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford OK – 7:00pm, free concert.
- 9.27 APCO Med, Oklahoma City OK – 2:00pm, free concert in the cafe.
- 9.29 Boiler Brewing Company, Lincoln NE – 7:00pm, $12 at the door or $10 online.
- 9.30 Westport Coffee House Theater, Kansas City MO – 7:00pm, $10 at the door. With Adam Larson on saxophone and John Kizilarmut on drums.
- 10.2 Vangarde Arts, Sioux City IA – 7:00pm, $10 at the door. With Bobby Scharmann on bass and David Hawkins on drums.
- 10.3 R Wine Bar, Sioux Falls SD – 6:00pm, no cover. With Jonah Bennett on bass and David Hawkins on drums.
My trio will be back at The Dead Poet, at 450 Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan, for their Lamplight Session on Tuesday July 30th, from 7:30 to 9:30pm. Joining me for the evening will be David Juarez on guitar and Jeff Koch on bass.
My trio has released a new promotional video to introduce the group to a wider audience. Along with myself on trumpet, Dave Juarez on guitar and Jeff Koch on bass, it features three of my original compositions.
Filmed and Edited by Erika Kapin.
I will be joining the David White Jazz Orchestra for an afternoon performance at St. Peter’s Church (619 Lexington Avenue between 53rd and 54th Street) in Manhattan on Wednesday, July 3rd at 1pm.
My trio will be back at The Dead Poet, at 450 Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan, for their Lamplight Session on Tuesday April 16th, from 7:30 to 9:30pm. Joining me for the evening will be David Juarez on guitar and Jeff Koch on bass.
My trio will return to the Dead Poet in Manhattan, at 450 Amsterdam Avenue, on Tuesday February 5th from 7:30 to 9:30pm. Joining me for the night will be Aleksi Glick on guitar and Marty Isenberg on bass.
My newsletter for May 2018 is available here.
I will be joining Black Atlas on Friday April 22nd for their homecoming show in Greenpoint Brooklyn at Saint Vitus. They are finishing up a lengthy tour including a run of shows at SXSW. Show starts at 8pm with three opening bands, $10 cover.